Oct 2015 19
Second Informal Interactive Stakeholder Consultation on the WSIS+10 Review
The President of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly is organising this second informal interactive consultation with all relevant stakeholders of the World Summit on the Information Society, to collect their inputs on the zero draft. This precedes the second preparatory meeting by Member States that will take place on 20-22 October 2015. Anja Kovacs has been invited to speak on the panel on Internet governance.
The consultation will provide all relevant WSIS stakeholders an opportunity to contribute their views on the zero draft in a day of interactive panel discussions with representatives from various multi-stakeholders.
The one-day consultation will be divided into an opening segment, three interactive panels and a closing segment. The themes for the three panel discussions are:
i) ICTs for Development
ii) Internet Governance
iii) Human Rights and Building Confidence and Security in the use of ICTs.
The following questions will guide the consultation:
1) How can ICTs be harnessed for sustainable development? What insights from the last 10 years should be highlighted by the review?
2) What concrete measures can help to bridge the digital divide, including between and within countries, and between women and men?
3) What should the main goals of Internet governance be?
4) How can best practices be shared and leveraged in order to ensure that we are in a position to mitigate the risks posed by the Internet and maximise its benefits, especially in the areas of universal access to information and knowledge, freedom of expression, privacy and ethics?
5) How should human rights issues related to ICTs be addressed?
The outcome will be a President’s summary which will be circulated to all Member States and other stakeholders.
The meeting will be livestreamed on the UN’s webtv. Questions can be asked via Twitter, using #AskWSIS10.
The full agenda of the meeting can be found here.